|Posted on January 31, 2013 at 3:00 PM|
OK, so in talking to many clients, drinking enough water is the biggest struggle. I know that many people know it's important, but do you know why? The list can go on and on, but I am listing a few for you.
Maintain the balance of body fluids... So we all know the saying that your body is made up of about 2/3 H2O! Water aids in digestion, absorption, circulation, absorption of nutrients, creating saliva, and even to help you maintain the temperature of your body. Your brain needs water! The reason I say this is that your brain tells the rest of your body what to do, and what you should do. When your body needs more water, it gives you the feeling of being thirsty, and this is unfortunately many times mistaken for hunger!
Energize your muscles... Muscles don't work as well and can suffer when muscle cells don't have adequate fluid.
Help control calories... What you are drinking may contain calories as it is. By drinking more water, you are reducing the drinks you are consuming, as well as even reducing the feeling of hunger.
Help kidneys function... So long as your water intake is adequate, your body does an excellent job of removing the toxins from the body. An easy way to tell, pay attention to the flow, color, and yes, the smell of your urine. If it flows easily, is light in color and no odor, you are right on track! (That means when you drink an energy drink and it's fluorescent, maybe not a good sign!!!) Oh, and if you're not drinking enough, you have a higher risk for kidney stones (I think I'd rather drink water than endure that pain).
Keep your skin looking good... Along with moisturizer, water helps your skin to look good, in addition to acting as a natural barrier.
Tips for You...
1) Keep a bottle of water with you everywhere you go.
2) Eat fruits and veggies! It's estimated about 20% of your water will come from what you eat.
3) Drink one glass of water with every snack and meal.
4) Replace coffee, alcohol, and other sweetened beverages with water. (Suggestion: When drinking juice substitute juice and water 50/50)
5) Drink bottles or filtered water versus tap water, taste does make a difference.
6) Use a straw... Some feel drinking through a straw is easier, or they consume more.
7) Add slices lemons, limes, or oranges to your water for some natural, low sugar, flavor.
With these health bonuses, and tips, challenge yourself to drink more water! Get at least 64 ounces every day! Remember, change doesn't happen in a day. Plan for it until it becomes a habit!